INTENSE PULSED LIGHT/LASER
1. Immediately post treatment apply as needed: ice packs at intervals of 15 minutes, Aloe Vera gel, or a mild over the counter Hydrocortisone cream 1% on unopened skin to help minimize redness and swelling, and provide comfort. Treat area as if you have a mild sunburn.
2. A mild to moderate sunburn-like sensation is anticipated. This usually resolves within 2-24 hours after treatment but may persist up to 72 hours.
3. Bathe or shower as usual. Treated areas may be temperature sensitive. Cool showers or baths are suggested for the next 48 hours. Gentle cleanser and moisturizer are suggested.
4. Avoid aggressive scrubbing and use of exfoliates, scrub brushes, and loofa sponges until treatment area has returned to its pretreatment condition. Usually 7-10 days.
5. Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, and self-tanning creams to treated areas. Apply a sunblock with SPF 30 or greater daily to sun-exposed skin and for 2-4 weeks after IPL treatment.
6. Until redness has completely resolved (usually 2 days), avoid all of the following:
· Swimming, especially in pools with chemical/chlorine
· Hot tubs and Jacuzzis
· Activities that cause excessive perspiration
7. If the treated area blisters use a topical antibiotic ointment and cover with a sterile dressing twice a day.
8. Do not pick or attempt to remove scabs or crusts that form following your treatment as this may incur infection and may lead to scarring. Apply a thin film of antibiotic ointment twice a day to treated areas.
9. Use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as Motrin, Aspirin, etc. to help reduce discomfort and swelling.
10. You may apply makeup the next day but please be gentle.
Hair that was treated for removal will fall out in 7-21 days. During this period there may be an appearance of new stubble in the treated areas, this is not new growth, but the treated hairs being purged from the skin. These hairs may be shaved, clipped, waxed or trimmed but it is advised that you wait at least 24 hours before doing so. You should apply a moisturizing cream to treated areas to soften the treated hairs.
Pigmented Lesionsmay initially look raised and/or darker with a reddened perimeter. The lesion will gradually darken over the next 24-72 hours turning brown or even black. The lesion will progress to abrasions/crusting and will start flaking off in 7-14 days, do not pick, scratch, or remove them.
Vascular Lesions may lighten, gray, or disappear immediately taking 10-14 days for the full effect of the treatment to be realized. Following treatment the area may swell and be red. To reduce swelling you may take an anti-inflammatory, apply cold packs, and sleep with your head elevated.